Cover photo

Cover photo

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Sunday Dinner

Calvin and I were talking on the train about traditions we want for our family and one of the things we both said was Sunday dinner. On this particular Sunday, Calvin is stuck at work all day so I thought I'd treat him to a Sunday dinner when he gets back. Today I'm making Moroccan inspired chicken in the slow cooker. It can hang out for a few hours and make the house smell divine for when Calvin gets home. 




Being the deadbeat that I am and not wanting to go grocery shopping, I may have substituted some ingredients on the list below.  In a perfect world, I would be making the recipe I am posting.  But in my not so perfect world, well, f that.  So I used chicken drumsticks, no apricots, no cilantro (I used some mint and scallions instead) and everything turned out okay.  No one was hurt and life went on. 

Moroccan Inspired Chicken 
Bone in chicken thighs
1 Onion
1/2 a cup of Greek olives 
Chopped tomatoes (most recipes call for chicken stock instead, but I like using tomatoes) 
1/2 a cup of dried apricots
Parsley 
Cilantro 
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 a teaspoon of coriander 
1 teaspoon of turmeric (less for flavor and more because I've been reading all about its anti-inflammatory magical powers)
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne
1/2 a teaspoon of ginger
1 bay leaf
Salt
Pepper


Combine the chicken thighs with the onion, cumin, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne and turmeric and season with salt and pepper.  Add the tomatoes and a bay leaf and cover and cook on high for 2 hours. 

Stir in olives and apricots (you can add chickpeas, but somehow I didn't have those either).  Cook for another hour.



Serve over rice, quinoa or couscous.  You can sprinkle some toasted almonds on or garnish with fresh herbs and a little lemon juice.