Cover photo

Cover photo

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Summer Thursday (to mourn the loss of Summer Fridays)

Calvin has been working so hard lately, and I have NOT.  His summer Fridays are officially over, so I thought I would treat him to a nice surprise tonight to get him through the week. I am making lots of delicious appetizers to pick on and pouring him some well deserved wine, or beer, or both. 

Tomatillo and Green Pepper Salsa
8 tomatillos
3 green peppers
2 scallions
cilantro
juice of 1/2 a lemon
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper




Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Husk and wash the tomatillos well (they can be really sticky). Dice up the green peppers. Drizzle with olive oil and generously salt and pepper the vegetables.  Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes.  Let the peppers and tomatillos cool a bit and throw all the ingredients into the food processor. (Normally I would use a jalapeño but I didn't have one, so I am using red pepper flakes for a little heat instead). 




Are you all so sick of photos of mason jars?

Zucchini Chips
1 large zucchini
oil
salt




I am starting to get sick of zucchini.  So I decided to try a new preparation and made some chips out of them.  It couldn't be easier, they just take a bit of time. Just keep in mind they seriously shrink, so what you start with will not be what you end up with!

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.  Thinly slice the zucchini (this is when I wish I had a mandolin). Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly spray with coconut oil (you can also just brush on either coconut oil or olive oil).  Spread out the zucchini slices in a single layer.  Spray, or brush, with oil and lightly salt. Bake for 2 hours or so, or until they are golden brown and not at all soggy.



Sautéed Leeks, Tomatoes and Asparagus
2 leeks
1 bunch of asparagus
handful of grape tomatoes
olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Cut and soak the leeks in water to remove all of the grit before cooking.




Heat olive oil in a large pan.  Add the leeks and cook for a few minutes.  Add the rest the asparagus and tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.  Add the balsamic vinegar and sauté for a few more minutes.






I made shrimp to go with the tomatillo salsa and corn on the cob too. Summer Thursdays may have to be a new tradition. Happy eating.