Cover photo

Cover photo

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Clarissa Makes Applesauce?!?!

Anyone who know me well knows the one food I HATE more than anything is cooked apples. Just the thought alone sends shivers down my spine. Apple sauce, apple pie, baked apples, ugh. My husband says this makes me un-American. 


So here's the dilemma. We have a million pounds of apples from our farm share. We have shared them with family and friends but there are still too many left behind. So for Calvin, because I love him, I am making him some homemade apple sauce. I hope it's good, because lord knows I will not be trying this one myself.

Applesauce
18 apples
1 lemon 
1 cup of water
1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon
pinch of salt 
1/4 cup of Agave (or sugar is fine too)  

Place the juice of one lemon and a cup of water in a pot.  Peel and chop the apples. 


This is clearly the most annoying part...
 
Place the chopped apples in the pot. 



Add cinnamon, a pinch of salt, agave and stir. 




Place on medium high heat and bring to a boil. 




Then turn the heat down and let the mixture summer for about 20 minutes. Blend with a hand blender, food processor or food mill. Let the applesauce cool before storing.