Cover photo

Cover photo

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Party time

Today we are having a party, and for good reason (although selfishly, I am feeling a little bummed).  My dear friend Lauren is moving to Ohio, and so the girls are coming over to celebrate all our time together in NYC.  My friend Tarra did all the work, but I am contributing my apartment and a few treats.  I made meatballs, hummus and baba ganoush. (http://farmtoharlem.blogspot.com/2015/08/baby-ganoush-baba-ganoush-made-with.html)


Hummus is one of the easiest things to make.  You will save a ton of money by making your own and can also mix things up by using a variety of beans or herbs.  Today's recipe is the basic, but trust me its delicious.




Hummus
1 can of chickpeas
2 tablespoons of tahini (use as much or as little as you like)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of cumin
handful of parsley
salt and pepper
water
olive oil

Place chickpeas in a food processor with a tablespoon of water and puree.  Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse.  While the food processor is on, drizzle in a little more water and/or olive oil to get the hummus to the consistency that you like.  





I like to drizzle a little olive oil over the top and sprinkle with paprika before serving.


Meatballs
Ground beef
1 egg
1/4 cup parmasen 
1 teaspoon Worcestershire 
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup of bread crumbs* 
handful of parsley
Salt and pepper 

*I make my own "lazy" bread crumbs.  All I do is toast two pieces of Udi's gluten-free bread, and then put them in the food processor.  

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Do not over mix but make sure all the ingredients are well combined. Roll into balls. (I am making mine ahead of time and leaving them in the fridge over night, but you can skip right to cooking). 





Heat olive oil in a large pan. Brown the meatballs on all sides. Place in a 350 degree oven to finish cooking.