Cover photo

Cover photo

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Zucchini Bread

As we get the last of these beautiful zucchinis from our farm share, I knew I had to make zucchini bread at least once. My mama used to make zucchini bread with zucchinis from the garden in our backyard. I don't have a backyard. I don't have a garden. I don't have her recipe. What I do have is this bread I just made, and it's pretty damn good.



Zucchini Bread
2 medium zucchinis 
3 cups of flour 
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
2 teaspoons of cinnamon 
2 eggs 
1 cup of sugar 
1/2 cup of brown sugar*
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
3/4 cup of canola or olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8x4 inch loaf pans. 

Trim the ends of the zucchinis and grate (I did this in the food processor but you can just use a box grater). Squeeze the zucchini in a dish towel to remove some of the moisture from them. 




Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices in a large bowl


In another bowl mix the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. 

 
Toss the grated zucchini into the flour mixture. Pour the wet ingredients over the mixture and fold until well combined. 


Evenly divided into the loaf pans and bake for 45-50 minutes (check them with a toothpick). 

 
The top should be golden and feel springy. Let them cool in the pan for about ten minutes before letting them cool on a rack  or of your a deadbeat like me and you don't have a rack, just let them cool on the counter. 
 




Store the bread in an airtight container or wrap in foil and freeze for up to three months.