Cover photo

Cover photo

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

No Noodle Lasagna

Lately, all I want to eat is cheese.  Great idea, right?  Not really.  So I needed a way to satisfy that craving without the guilt.  Last week from our farm-share, we got enough zucchinis to feed a small army, so I decided to make a zucchini lasagna.  I have had enough cheese lately, so I am going to make a cashew cheese to satisfy this craving.  To be honest, this is the first time I am making this dish with zucchini.  Normally, I use eggplant (which is DELICIOUS, and ends up being a cross between lasagna and eggplant parm, without the parm).  If you decide to use eggplant, just bake the slices of eggplant first for about 10 minutes.  Fingers crossed this all turns out alright...




Cashew Cheese
1 and 1/2 cups raw cashews
1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste
Water

First, soak the raw cashews in water for approximately 3 hours. Drain the water and put into a food processor with lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.  Start to run the food processor and drizzle in water through the feed tube.  Do this slowly, stopping to check if the consistency is to your liking (think ricotta, not cashew soup).  I use this all the time in recipes instead of cheese.  You'd be amazed how good it is!



I like to stock up on raw cashews at Trader Joe's and store them in the freezer.



No Noodle Lasagna
4 small zucchinis or 3 large
Cashew cheese
Tomato sauce (I made my own, but feel free to use a jar to make life even easier.  For the recipe, check out my Pizza Party post).
1 egg

Pre heat the oven to 325.  Slice the zucchini thinly (I did not cut them as thinly as I should have), sprinkle with salt and set aside on paper towels to drain.



To assemble the lasagna, start by putting a little sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. (Please ignore the dish I am using. Normally I would be using a square baking dish, but we cooked for friends and lost our dish forever.  Ever heard of a round lasagna? Me neither.  This is gonna be weird.) 

Next, put a layer of zucchini slices.  Then add a layer of cashew cheese.  Repeat this pattern, sauce, zucchini, cheese, until you reach the top (make sauce your final layer).  Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes.  Remove the foil and, this may sound strange, but pour a lightly beaten egg over the top and bake for about ten minutes more.  This egg is going to give the illusion of a cheesy layer and will taste delicious, and somehow not eggy at all.  If this seems too odd for you, then skip it. But if you do skip this step, then I will judge you for being small minded and ridiculous.  Okay that's not true, but just try it.





Let the lasagna sit for a few minutes before cutting into it and serve with a simple salad.