Cover photo

Cover photo

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Family Brunch

Today my mom, brother and nephew are coming over for brunch.  For casual entertaining like this, I like something that doesn't keep me in the kitchen and away from everyone.  I also wanted something that would be inexpensive but delicious and a way to use up some of our farm-share vegetables.  Here's what I came up with...


Mushroom, Squash and Goat Cheese Frittata
1 container of Baby Bella mushrooms
2 baby squash
Goat Cheese
Scallions
12 Eggs
Salt and Pepper




Roast the mushrooms and squash in the oven (see my Pizza Party post for recipe).  This can be done the morning of or the day before.  

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile whisk together eggs, salt and pepper.  Crumble in the goat cheese. Heat a bit of oil or butter on medium heat in an ovenproof saute pan. Add the scallions and the roasted vegetables. Pour eggs over the vegetables and let cook, without stirring, for about 2 minutes. Transfer the pan into a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes (make sure the center is set).  Let cool a few minutes before cutting. This can be served warm or at room temperature. 



Baby Yam Latkes
8 Baby Yams
1 Onion
1 large Egg
4 tablespoons of flour
1 tablespoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of pepper
1 teaspoon of salt
(I also threw in the leftover baby zucchini I had and one small kohlrabi) 


I use a food processor to grate all of the vegetables, but you can easily grate by hand.  I don't remove the skin of the baby yams (just wash them well).  I also grate the onion in the food processor.  Gently whisk an egg in a large bowl.  Add the grated vegetables and the flour, baking soda, salt and pepper. Mix together.  If the consistency seems too wet, add more flour.


Make sure the mixture is not too wet, otherwise the latkes will fall apart.

Heat coconut oil (or any other high temperature oil) on medium high heat.  Once it is hot, scoop some of the latke mixture (I use a 1/4 cup as my scoop) and place in the hot oil.  I usually can fit about 4 or 5 in the pan at a time, so this has to be done in stages.  Let cook for about 3 minutes on each side.  Then remove and drain on paper towels.  Sprinkle with salt. 




The latkes can be kept warm in a low temperature oven until ready to serve.

I served this all with a salad using the greens and roasted beats from our farm share, with lemon juice and olive oil.

The latkes and frittata recipe are great for entertaining. They can both be made with a variety of vegetables or whatever you have on hand.  I have made latkes with butternut squash, kohlrabi or of course any variety of potatoes.  The frittata is also great with any leftover vegetables you may have in the fridge.